A "power meter" (which actually measures a lot more than just power) is a basic "must have" piece of equipment for electrically powered flight. A few years ago when I became convinced (after an inexplicably long time) of the necessity of owning one, I compiled this list of candidates. The list dates from July 2005, so of course much has changed since then, and I make no pretense that the list is exhaustive or even accurate. I have updated the prices as of Aug 7, 2007 based on the price quoted on the manufacturer's web site, with the exception of the Hyperion Emeter (as noted below).
- Astro Flight 100 - Micro Meter - US$54.95 (appears not to be sold anymore)
- Astro Flight 101 -
Super Whattmeter - US$54.95 (without connectors)
Note: if the hyperlinks don't work, go to the Astro Flight main page and click on "Meters."
- "Watt's Up" RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer - US$59.95
- Watt-Age DCM Direct Current Meter - US$43.99
- Medusa Research - Power Analyzer II - US$59.95 up (depending on accessories)
- Medusa Research - Power Analyzer Pro - US$99.95 (basic) to US$189.95 (deluxe)
Emeter - $89.95
Note: they don't seem to have their own web site, the link above is to Air Craft, who have quite a lot of information. Also, according to this site, "the Emeter is currently out of production. A new model is being developed, with extra features, and is now not expected until later in 2008."